The best thing about living on the west coast, is cheap travel to west coast cities! I went to LA in September 2009 to celebrate my sister’s birthday. My sister and I think alike and we like to plan, plan, plan – especially if you don’t have much time and you’re travelling with a large group. Surprisingly, I get many travel questions when people know I have been to certain places, so I thought I would share this even though almost a year has passed.
HOTEL: Orchid Suites Hotel $179/night for a one bedroom suite, with two beds and a pull out cot – we were able to fit 6 girls in here. It was a great location right behind the Kodak Theatre and the hotel also provided FREE breakfast so we didn’t have to worry about one meal for each day.
CAR RENTAL: Deluxe Rent A Car is a local car rental company that provides a free shuttle bus from the airport. There are many local car companies that usually have cheaper prices compared to commercial companies.
- Arrive, take shuttle from airport to car rental company, check-in to hotel
- Walk the Hollywood Strip
- Dinner at Trastevere Restaurant - a great Italian restaurant, walking distance from hotel
Above: Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Passion Cake from Mani’s Bakery and Cafe (
) I ordered this cake for my sister ahead of time because she’s vegan. They have a wide selection of vegan desserts and they deliver for $5, depending on the delivery address.
- A day in Santa Monica (beach, Pacific Park, shopping, and food!)
Our group of 6 girls split up – half went skydiving, while the other half went outlet shopping.
- Skydive Elsinore - expect to spend almost a whole day here, waiting and prepping for your turn.
- Desert Hills Premium Outlets
- Little Tokyo Area
Above: Various special rolls and the eggplant appetizer, a late dinner at Geisha House. The Geisha House is a fabulous restaurant that is part of the Dolce Group. The ambiance in the restaurant was amazing with high ceilings, private booths, and beautiful wall decor. The food was also delicious and fresh. I will definitely try other Dolce Group restaurants the next time I am in LA.
- Hiking the Sandstone Peak Trail to the highest point in Santa Monica - a moderate hike that doesn’t have many rocky areas, however the drive up to the trail is quite a ride.
- Warner Brothers Studio Tour – a short tour of the studio and many famous sets.
- Griffith Observatory - a free attraction with a beautiful view of the city at night.
LAX Airport Map